This seafaring town which saw the birth of Rocío Jurado is situated very near the Mouth of the Guadalquivir and Doñana.
The monuments that constitute the town’s heritage are a faithful reflection of its true historical significance, as its origins go back as far as the Roman Empire. The castle (Property of Cultural Interest) was built at the orders of Guzman el Bueno and finished by the Ponce de León in the 14th century. It is totally battlemented, has ogival windows and a square tower.
The most emblematic building is, undoubtedly, the Regla Sanctuary, which breathes a NeoGothic air. The place of worship, which stands on an old fortress and in current times belongs to the Franciscans, houses the patron of Chipiona. Worthy of mention is the imperial staircase which leads to the Mudejar cloisters dating from the 15th century, the vaulted cellars, the walls decorated with tiles from Triana (1640), the museum and the library. Other buildings of interest are the Church of Nuestra Señora de la O (16th-17th century), the Chapel of Cristo de la Misericordia and the Santa Clara Sanatorium (the first maritime clinic in Spain)
Chipiona has been an important summer resort since the early 20th century. It still retains numerous beautiful villas which give it a very particular, special character. The Promenades by the Regla and Las Canteras beaches, which are busy and buzzing, are lined with pavement cafés where one can sit and enjoy the views of the sea, while sipping the region’s famous moscatel wine. Outstanding in the cut flower industry (and host to the sector’s International Fair, FLORASUR), the beaches (Regla, del Camarón, Tres Piedras, Cruz del Mar, Las Canteras, Montijo and la Ballena) have been awarded with Blue Flags for Clean Waters of Europe since 1989. They are the perfect backdrop for water sports which can be enjoyed in the modern Marina.
And if you wish to spend a quiet day in the country, the town offers recreation areas such as El Pinar, the habitat of the ancestral chameleon, which is very common in the area.
Rebuilt on the ruins of the ancient Roman lighthouse which Quintus Servilius had built to guide sailors towards the Guadalquivir, so that they avoided the dangers of the Salmedina Rock, the cause of many shipwrecks. It stands on Punta del Perro, separating Las Canteras and Regla beaches. Built in 1867 by the engineer Jaime Font, it is the tallest in Spain, at 69m. The promontory on which it sits is a magnificent vantage point.